A desperate Tiger Woods is not going to let Adam Scott back in to the No. 1 ranking.
Woods announced Wednesday that he is going to play at the WGC-Cadillac Championships at Doral this week, just days after withdrawing from the Honda Classic because of back problems.
“I feel better,” Woods told reporters Wednesday, according to CBSSports.com. “It’s been a long couple days of just treatment non-stop, trying to get everything calmed down. Treatment has gotten me to the point where I am now and then tomorrow (I’ll) go all out.” He said his bad back “comes and goes.”
Woods has a tenuous hold on the No. 1 world ranking, according to reports earlier in the week. Defending Masters champion Adam Scott could become the top-ranked player if he wins at Doral and Woods fails to finish in the top five or seven, depending on the points available from the strength of the field this week.
According to CBSSports.com Woods, the defending WGC-Cadillac champion, assured the media that he’s as strong as ever, but that his issues are purely physical.
“The will to win hasn’t changed. It’s physically am I able to do it. A bad back is no joke,” he said.
Woods must be assuming that if the back spasms return, he’ll still have enough time to recover for the Masters in April – the first Grand Slam event of 2014.
But as CBSSports.com reports, Woods has not played four rounds in a tournament he’s played in the U.S. this year. Woods missed the secondary cut at Torrey Pines and then withdrew last weekend.
With the Masters just five weeks away, Woods likely needs all the practice he can get to be in a position to challenge for the first major of the season.
Woods, who has not won a Grand Slam since 2008, is willing to risk a relapse in his back to make sure he’s prepared for the Masters. His willingness to risk his bad back shows the pressure he feels to resume winning majors.
© 2018 Sportsworldnews.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.